About Me

My photo
I am basically a unplanned bob and generally easy-going. I adhere to Scientific Principles, and I am a skeptic. I tend to talk about a lot of things, and have opinions about everything I saw. I try to be straight-forward so when I say something, people will understand. I can talk sporadically. My thoughts jump around, and I’ll say whatever is there. Perhaps this will be confusing, perhaps it will not. I’m a Half-atheist. What does this mean? Exactly what it says. It does not mean I will go on rampages against religions. However, when I disagree with something, I will say so and I will say why. Sometimes, what I have to say may seem offensive. Please know that it is not my intent to offend. This is, however, my space and my freedom of speech, and I write about whatever is on my mind. More on that, I love talking to people having intelligent discussions. I’ve been known to not keep in touch with someone across the hall while talking at great length with someone across the country. The difference lies not in personality, but in the ability to converse.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Head Reattached


Bna-Dickman-Lrg-V

On July 12, 2002, 18-year old Marcos Parra was involved in a car accident that left his skull literally separated from his cervical spine, in a condition called internal decapitation. Only the ligaments on his neck were connecting his head with his body, but his spinal cord and arteries were intact. However, a medical team led by Dr. Curtis Dickman (pictured above), a neurosurgeon at the St. Joseph’s Hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, saved his life by performing a radical, groundbreaking operation wherein two surgical screws were used to fasten Parra’s head to his spine. Amazingly, the risky operation worked, and Parra fully recovered. Since then, Dickman’s team has successfully performed the same surgery on two other patients.

Interesting Fact: There is a similar story to this. Ricky Barker was also internally decapitated after a 2004 accident where the bike he was riding collided with a car. Three months later however, Barker walked out of the hospital with only a paralyzed left arm, a limp and a hole in his throat (so that he could breathe) to remind him of the accident that almost took his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nihas Thoughts

Effectiveness is doing the right things.” What’s true for individual managers is also true for organizations, which often squander time and resources trying to improve processes for products not worth producing. The solution? See “abandonment,