About Me

My photo
I am basically a unplanned bob and generally easy-going. I adhere to Scientific Principles, and I am a skeptic. I tend to talk about a lot of things, and have opinions about everything I saw. I try to be straight-forward so when I say something, people will understand. I can talk sporadically. My thoughts jump around, and I’ll say whatever is there. Perhaps this will be confusing, perhaps it will not. I’m a Half-atheist. What does this mean? Exactly what it says. It does not mean I will go on rampages against religions. However, when I disagree with something, I will say so and I will say why. Sometimes, what I have to say may seem offensive. Please know that it is not my intent to offend. This is, however, my space and my freedom of speech, and I write about whatever is on my mind. More on that, I love talking to people having intelligent discussions. I’ve been known to not keep in touch with someone across the hall while talking at great length with someone across the country. The difference lies not in personality, but in the ability to converse.

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Echolocation

Echolocation

Echolocation is how bats fly around in dark forests – they emit a sound, wait for the echo to return, and use that sound of the echo in each ear plus the return time to work out where an object is and how far away. Surprisingly (well, maybe not on this list!), humans are also capable of using echolocation. Use of echolocation is probably restricted to blind people because it takes a long time to master and heightened sensitivity to reflected sound.

To navigate via echolocation a person actively creates a noise (e.g. tapping a cane or clicking the tongue) and determines from the echoes where objects are located around them. People skilled at this can often tell where an object is, what size it is, and its density. Because humans cannot make or hear the higher pitched frequencies that bats and dolphins use they can only picture objects that are comparatively larger than those ‘seen’ by echolocating animals.

People with the ability to echolocate include James Holman, Daniel Kish, and Ben Underwood. Perhaps the most remarkable and well-documented of cases is the story of Ben Underwood, who lost both his eyes to retinal cancer at the age of three. He is shown in the video above (warning: the scene where he puts in his prosthetic eyeballs may be a bit disturbing for some).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Nihas Thoughts

Effectiveness is doing the right things.” What’s true for individual managers is also true for organizations, which often squander time and resources trying to improve processes for products not worth producing. The solution? See “abandonment,